Pronunciation - Click to play

AOC/AOP Regulations

  • Département: Côte d'Or
  • Communes of Production: Gevrey-Chambertin and Brochon
  • Styles and Encépagement:
    • Rouge: Pinot Noir, plus a max. 15% mixed plantings of Pinot Gris, Pinot Blanc, and Chardonnay
    • Rouge "Premier Cru"
  • Minimum Alcohol:
    • Rouge: 10.5%
    • Rouge "Premier Cru": 11%
  • Minimum Must Weight:
    • Rouge: 180 g/l (171 g/l prior to 2011)
    • Rouge "Premier Cru": 189 g/l (180 g/l prior to 2011)
  • Maximum Residual Sugar: 2 g/l
  • Élevage: Wines may not be released until June 30 of the year following the harvest
    • Minimum Planting Density: 9,000 vines per hectare
    • Maximum Yields (Rendement de Base): 
      • Rouge: 50 hl/ha (40 hl/ha prior to 2011)
      • Rouge "Premier Cru": 48 hl/ha (40 hl/ha prior to 2011)
    • Primary Soil Type: brown limestone and marl
    • AOC Established: 1936 (last updated 2011)
    • AOC Cahier des Charges 
    • Map of Gevrey-Chambertin AOC (Official Wines of Burgundy Website)

    Grand Cru Vineyards of Gevrey-Chambertin (9)

    Vineyard Size* Major Producers Notes 
    12.93 ha Armand Rousseau, Jacques Prieur, Leroy, Dujac, Bertagna, Joseph Drouhin, Ponsot, Jean Trapet, Rossignol-Trapet In his 1855 Burgundy classification, Dr. Jules Lavalle listed Chambertin (including Clos de Bèze) as the sole tête de cuvée within Gevrey.
    Origin of Name: "The field of Bertin": a peasant named Bertin planted a vineyard adjacent to the plot owned by the Abbey of Bèze. The vineyard name first appeared in print (as "Campus Bertini") in the 13th century.
    Chambertin Clos de Bèze
    15.39 ha Pierre Damoy, Armand Rousseau, Prieuré Roch, Drouhin-Laroze, Faiveley, Bruno Clair, Louis Jadot, Dujac Chambertin Clos de Bèze wines may be simply labeled as Chambertin.
    Origin of Name: The vineyard is named for the Abbey of Bèze, who owned the site from 630-1219, when it passed into the hands of the Diocese of Langres. In 1761, the names "Chambertin" and "Clos de Bèze" were first linked in two separate texts.
    5.48 ha Pierre Damoy, Ponsot, Jean Trapet, Claude Dugat, Louis Jadot The vineyard includes the 1.79 ha climat Les Gémeaux.
    Origin of Name: The vineyard was named after the chapel of Notre-Dame de Bèze, which was razed in 1830 to increase available land for planting.
    12.24 ha Perrot-Minot, Armand Rousseau, Dujac, Dugat-Py, Ponsot, Hubert Lignier Producers of Mazoyères-Chambertin may label their wines as Charmes-Chambertin.
    Origin of Name: "Charmes" is derived from the Latin calmis, or "pasture land." The vineyard lay fallow (en friche) for a period prior to being replanted.
    2.69 ha Domaine des Chézeaux, Fourrier, Joseph Drouhin Domaine des Chézeaux owns over half the vineyard, but due to métayage agreements wines from their plot appear, in certain vintages, under three different labels: Chézeaux, Ponsot, and René Leclerc.
    Origin of Name: "Griotte" is a derivative of criotte, or "chalk."
    7.35 ha Faiveley, Rossignol-Trapet, Jean Trapet, Drouhin-Laroze, Leroy Latricières-Chambertin is typically the coolest Grand Cru site in Gevrey, and it is sandwiched between Chambertin (on the north side) and Clos de la Roche (on the south).
    Origin of Name: "Latricières" is derived from the Latin tricae, indicating things of little value; in this sense, it describes the poor, infertile soils of this vineyard. The soil here is shallower and the subsoil harder than in neighboring Chambertin.
    9.10 ha Hospices de Beaune (Cuvée Madeleine Collignon), Dugat-Py, Faiveley, Armand Rousseau, Maume, Frédéric Esmonin, d'Auvenay Soil and aspect in the upper part of the vineyard are nearly identical to Clos de Bèze.
    Origin of Name: "Mazis," like "maison," is derived from mas, a house or dwelling. This may refer to a small hamlet displaced by vineyard planting in the 1300s.
    18.58 ha de la Vougeraie, Perrot-Minot, Benjamin Leroux Producers may choose to label these wines as Charmes-Chambertin instead. Most do.
    Origin of Name: "Mazoyères" has the same etymological origin as "Mazis."
    3.30 ha Armand Rousseau, Georges Mugneret, Frédéric Esmonin, Christophe Roumier (Michel Bonnefond parcel) Ruchottes-Chambertin is the steepest of Gevrey's Grand Cru vineyards. Rousseau's 1.1 ha plot is called the Clos des Ruchottes, and is labeled as a monopole.
    Origin of Name: "Ruchottes" may be derived from rochers, or "rocks"; others suggest that bees were once kept here, from ruche ("hive").

    Premier Cru Vineyards of Gevrey-Chambertin (26)

    Vineyard Size** Major Producers Notes 
    0.53 ha Drouhin-Laroze
    Origin of Name: "Closeau" is derived from "clos".
    Aux Combottes
    4.57 ha Dujac, Leroy Aux Combottes is surrounded by Grand Cru vineyards: Clos de la Roche, Latricières-Chambertin, and Mazoyères-Chambertin. This is the only 1er Cru in all of the Côte d'Or to be completely surrounded by Grand Cru land.
    Origin of Name: "Combottes" derives from combe, a valley bisecting the côte.
    Bel Air
    2.65 ha de la Vougeraie, Taupenot-Maume This climat is adjacent to the western edge of Chambertin-Clos de Bèze. The western, highest-elevation portion of Bel Air (0.84 ha) is classified as village rather than 1er Cru. 
    Origin of Name: "Bel" is derived from the Latin bellus, or "beautiful," and the name refers to the high-elevation site's refreshing, pure air. 
    3.32 ha Domaine des Varoilles, Esmonin, Louis Boillot
    Origin of Name: "Champ" = "field"; "the field of Ponnet."
    2.18 ha Fourrier, Louis Boillot
    Origin of Name: "Cherbaudes" derives from the Latin caribaudia, or "cemetary": this spot was possibly the site of Gevrey's first cemetary.
    Clos des Varoilles
    5.97 ha Domaine des Varoilles, monopole Dr. Jules Lavalle put this vineyard on par with Clos Saint-Jacques and many of the second-tier Grand Cru sites in his 1855 classification. It was first purchased by the Diocese of Langres in stages between 1272-1329, and remained in the church's hands until the revolution.
    Origin of Name: "Varoilles" refers to a small valley.
    Clos du Chapitre
    1.00 ha Nuiton Beaunoy (Cave des Hautes-Côtes), monopole The vineyard came under its current ownership in 1927.
    Origin of Name: The vineyard was once the property of the Diocese of Langres, or the "Chapitre des Langres."
    Clos Prieur
    1.98 ha Rossignol-Trapet, Harmand-Geoffroy The lower section of this vineyard is considered village AOP; hence, Harmand-Geoffroy must use the village AOP for their bottling as the estate's parcel straddles both sections.
    Origin of Name: The vineyard belonged to a prieur: a priory under the control of the Abbey of Cluny. 
    Clos Saint-Jacques
    6.70 ha Armand Rousseau, Bruno Clair, Fourrier, Louis Jadot, Sylvie Esmonin The site was the monopole of Comte de Moucheron until 1954. Today the five listed are the only owners, although there is the occasional négociant bottling. All five have parcels that run from the bottom of the slope all the way to the top, ensuring good consistency. This is the finest Premier Cru in Gevrey, but, as it did not touch the borders of Chambertin, it could not merit Grand Cru status. 
    Origin of Name: "Saint-Jacques" refers to a statue of Saint James (Jacques) that stands in the vineyard, and guided pilgrims in the past.
    2.76 ha Drouhin-Laroze, Confuron-Cotétidot
    Origin of Name: The vineyard name combines crai ("chalk," or small limestone pebbles), and pillot, the Burgundian word for "stone."
    En Ergot
    1.16 ha No producer currently bottles a wine labeled "En Ergot."
    Origin of Name: "En Ergot" describes the pointed shape of the climat, which resembles a rooster's spur.
    2.09 ha Frédéric Esmonin
    Origin of Name: "Estournelles" are fortified walls with towers.
    3.73 ha Bruno Clair, Rebourseau, Joseph Roty Bruno Clair owns a 0.68 ha monopole within the vineyard called the Clos du Fonteny.
    Origin of Name: "Fonteny" and "fountain" share the same etymological origin.
    0.62 ha Domaine Faiveley, monopole (since 2002)
    Origin of Name: "Issarts" is dervied from d'essarter, or "deforested."
    La Boissière
    0.45 ha Harmand-Geoffroy, monopole There is an additional 1.44 ha of the climat considered village AOP rather than premier cru.
    Origin of Name: "Boissière" = "bush"
    La Combe-au-Moine
    4.77 ha Faiveley, Fourrier
    Origin of Name: The combe aux moines ("valley of the monks") belonged to the Benedictines of Cluny, and was counted among the abbey's possessions until the French Revolution.
    La Perrière
    2.47 ha
    Origin of Name: Le perrier was a worker who extracted stone from a quarry. 
    La Romanée
    1.06 ha Domaine des Varoilles, monopole
    9.53 ha Dugat-Py, Denis Mortet, Dupont Tisserandot, Claude Dugat This is the largest Premier Cru in Gevrey.
    Origin of Name: "Lavaux" is derived from the Latin vallis, or "valley."
    Les Cazetiers
    8.43 ha Bruno Clair, A. Rousseau, Jadot Cazetiers neighbors Clos Saint-Jacques, and together they are the only two 1er Crus in Gevrey that run from the bottom of the slope all the way to the top. It is one of the appellation's top 1er Cru vineyards.
    Origin of Name: "Cazetiers" is derived from the Latin castellum, or fortress.
    Les Champeaux
    6.68 ha Fourrier, Denis Mortet
    Origin of Name: "Champeaux" = "meadow"
    Les Corbeaux
    3.21 ha Denis Bachelet
    Origin of Name: "Corbeau" = "raven"
    Les Goulots
    1.81 ha Fourrier
    Origin of Name: "Goulots" is derived from goule, or "stream." The word gouléyant today is usually an unkind description, implying that the wine is thin or dilute, like water.
    Les Petits-Cazetiers
    0.45 ha These wines may be blended in with Les Cazetiers and labeled as such.
    4.0 ha Dugat-Py, Dupont-Tisserandot
    Origin of Name: Petite-Chapelle is situated directly below Chapelle-Chambertin.
    2.20 ha Geantet-Pansiot, Jadot
    Origin of Name: A "Poissonet" is a fish pond.
    **Coates, Clive. The Wines of Burgundy. Rev. ed. Berkeley: The University of California Press, 2008.